Car Accident in Texas?
East Texas Car Accident Lawyer Explains Your Rights and Options
Whether due to permanent injury, financial ruin or the loss of a loved one, many people can point to a car accident as the moment where their lives began to unravel. That is why it is so important that people speak to a car accident lawyer if they or a loved one has been in a wreck. Having a capable attorney on your side can mean the difference between securing your and your family’s financial future and struggling financially for years.
Mike Love & Associates, LLC has been protecting the rights of car accident victims and their families in Texas for years. Every case we take, we take personally, because we know that it could just as easily have been us or someone we love who was the victim of another driver’s negligence. Therefore, if you hire us, we fight for you as if we were fighting for ourselves and our own family.
We will gladly discuss your case with you free of charge, including answering your questions about your and the other driver’s insurance policies and explaining what legal options you have. You need to know this information to make the best decisions possible for your family’s future. In addition, if you decide to file a claim, letting your attorney get to work as soon as possible is a must, because legal deadlines preventing you from filing a lawsuit can run out quickly and evidence important to your case can be lost. You have no time to lose. Make the call now.
What are Common Types of Car Crash Claims?
Car crash claims come in several different shapes and sizes, including but not limited to:
- Distracted driving accidents – This can include adjusting the radio, talking to passengers, surfing the internet, using the GPS, and texting and driving. Although texting while driving is not yet illegal throughout the entire state of Texas, people who cause accidents due to texting can and should be held accountable to victims.
- Drunk driving accidents – Driving while intoxicated can be the result of drinking alcohol, taking prescription or over-the-counter medications or using illegal drugs. Victims of drunk drivers need a private civil attorney in these situations, even if the prosecutor or district attorney is also filing criminal charges. Criminal charges alone will not result in payments to victims for medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering and more—only a civil lawsuit can accomplish that.
- Underinsured/uninsured motorist accidents – UM/UIM accidents involve drivers who do not have car insurance or their coverage is not enough to pay for the damage or injuries that result from a crash. Our firm highly recommends Texans purchase UM/UIM insurance coverage on their own policies to protect themselves and their families after an accident.
How to Determine Fault in a Car Accident
While there are differences in how to determine fault in a car accident depending on the type of auto wreck involved, generally, figuring out who was to blame for a traffic crash involves the following:
- Tangible Evidence – There is often evidence that can prove fault in automobile accident cases, such as cell phone records confirming a texting and driving allegation or blood tests confirming a drunk driving charge. This can also include GPS and internet data, tire marks on the road and the vehicles themselves. In some situations, accident reconstruction specialists are brought in to recreate a car wreck to prove who was at fault.
- Police Reports – Police reports can add great value to a case, as statements made by the drivers and witnesses made in real time after the accident are often candid and honest. Police reports can also assist in tracking down witnesses.
- Witness Accounts – In some cases, there are bystanders, such as other drivers or pedestrians, who saw the car accident happen and can provide an accurate account of what caused the wreck.
- Traffic Camera – Today more and more intersections and roadways are equipped with cameras that monitor and record traffic activity. Many times we are able to request footage from local law enforcement that show unequivocally how the accident happened. However, these requests must be submitted in writing relatively soon after the accident, or else the footage may be lost forever.
- Electronic Data Recorders – Most modern vehicles are now equipped with devices that record information regarding an accident. The vehicle’s computer can record such information as: the speed the vehicle was traveling leading up to the crash; how much accelerator was being applied; how long the brakes were applied prior to impact and whether the car made any sudden changes in direction. However, obtaining this data requires a person with specific expertise to download the information, prior to the vehicles computer being repaired or destroyed.
Having an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer Is Crucial to Your Case
Call us directly or submit your contact information through the online form on this page to schedule a free, confidential, no-obligation consultation with an experienced car accident attorney at Mike Love & Associates, LLC.