Involved in a Car Accident in Texas?
East Texas Car Accident Lawyer Explains Your Rights and Options
Whether due to permanent injury, financial ruin or the loss of a loved one, many people can point to a car accident as the moment when their lives began to unravel. That is why it is so important that you speak to a Texas car accident lawyer if you or a loved one has been in a wreck. Having a capable attorney on your side can mean the difference in securing your and your family’s financial future. An attorney can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf and fight to ensure you get the full compensation you deserve.
Mike Love & Associates, LLC has been protecting the rights of car accident victims and their families in Texas for years. Every case we take, we take personally; we know that it could just as easily have been someone that we love or even ourselves. Anyone on the road is put at risk by the negligence of other drivers. Therefore, we fight for you as if we were fighting for our own family and ourselves.
What Are Common Types of Car Crash Claims?
Each car crash claim is unique. However, many share common root causes. Thus, some of the most common types of car accidents include but are not limited to:
- Distracted driving accidents – Driver distractions can include adjusting the radio, talking to passengers, using the Internet, using the GPS, or texting and driving. Although texting while driving is not yet illegal throughout the entire state of Texas, people who cause accidents due to texting can and should be held accountable to victims. Additionally, many cities have local ordinances which prohibit texting or even using a phone without a hands-free device while behind the wheel.
- Drunk driving accidents – Driving while intoxicated can be the result of drinking alcohol, taking prescription or over-the-counter medications, or using illegal drugs. Victims of drunk drivers need a private civil attorney in these situations, even if the prosecutor or district attorney is also filing criminal charges. Criminal charges alone will not result in compensation to victims for medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering and more—only a civil lawsuit can accomplish that.
- Underinsured/uninsured motorist accidents – UM/UIM accidents involve drivers who do not have car insurance or their coverage is not enough to pay for the damage or injuries that result from a crash. Our firm highly recommends Texans purchase UM/UIM insurance coverage on their own policies to protect themselves and their families after an accident.
How Do Car Accident Attorneys Determine Fault After a Crash?
There are differences in how to determine fault in a car accident depending on the type of auto wreck involved. However, in general, figuring out who was to blame for a traffic crash involves the following:
- Tangible Evidence – There is evidence that can prove fault in automobile accident cases, such as cell phone records confirming a texting and driving allegation or blood tests confirming a drunk driving charge. This can also include GPS and internet data, tire marks on the road and the vehicles themselves. In some situations, accident reconstruction specialists recreate a car wreck to prove who was at fault.
- Police Reports – Police reports can add great value to a case, as statements made by the drivers and witnesses made in real time after the accident are candid and typically honest. Police reports can also assist in tracking down witnesses.
- Witness Accounts – In some cases, there are bystanders, such as other drivers or pedestrians, who saw the car accident happen and can provide an accurate account of what caused the wreck.
- Traffic Camera – Today more and more intersections and roadways have cameras that monitor and record traffic activity. Many times, we are able to request footage from local law enforcement that shows how the accident happened. However, these requests must are due in writing relatively soon after the accident, or else the footage may not have validity.
- Electronic Data Recorders – Most modern vehicles are now equipped with devices that record information regarding an accident. The vehicle’s computer can record such information as: the speed the vehicle was traveling leading up to the crash; how much accelerator was being applied; how long the brakes activated prior to impact and whether the car made any sudden changes in direction. However, obtaining this data requires a person with specific expertise to download the information, prior to the vehicles computer being repaired or destroyed.
Need an Experienced East Texas Car Accident Lawyer? Call Us Now
We will gladly discuss your case with you free of charge, including answering your questions about your and the other driver’s insurance policies and explaining what legal options you have. You need to know this information to make the best decisions possible for your family’s future. In addition, if you decide to file a claim, letting your attorney get to work as soon as possible is a must, because legal deadlines preventing you from filing a lawsuit can run out quickly and you could lose evidence important to your case. You have no time to lose. Make the call now.
Call us directly or submit your contact information through the online form on this page to schedule a free, confidential, no-obligation consultation with an experienced car accident attorney at Mike Love & Associates, LLC.